HomeMicrosoftWish List


Streets & Trips measuring tool options
SpadesFlush
I like the Measuring Tool. But I would like to have options on its appearances. I would like to choose colors in addition to the Henry-Ford black. Also, I would like line-type options such as various types of dotted lines.

These options would allow the user to show alternatives that would be color-differentiated for comparison purposes. As it is now, you might have several alternative lengths measured, perhaps overlapping or converging, that you want to be able to tell apart.
crazyst
I kind of wish there was a "snap to road" option. Usually I'm measuring a distance from an intersection or some point and so having it snap to the road would give me a more accurate distance following the road. You can leave the option off if you just want to measure a distance that doesn't follow a road.

I think the multiple colors is a good idea also but it isn't an option I would use myself.

Curt
Marvin Hlavac
After you have used the Measure Distance tool, select your desired Line Color on the Drawing tool bar. You may also change the width the same way, just by clicking Line Style button.
SpadesFlush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Hlavac
After you have used the Measure Distance tool, select your desired Line Color on the Drawing tool bar. You may also change the width the same way, just by clicking Line Style button.
See? I learned something. I didn't know you could do that but it works well enough.

I withdraw my suggestion.
gaston
I agree with crazyst I would like a distance measure tool that would let you snap two points on a road and give you the road distance between them. don't need or want a line, just the distance, so i can answer the "how far are we from (fill in the blank)" question. It would be nice if it would default to the route with the option to measure between any two points on the same road
Big_Dave
If I want to know the destance between two points then I right click on a starting place and input this as a start then click on the other end and righ click and set as end. Click the get directions button on route planner and it gives you the distance.
crazyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Dave
If I want to know the destance between two points then I right click on a starting place and input this as a start then click on the other end and righ click and set as end. Click the get directions button on route planner and it gives you the distance.
That works great unless you're already have a route built.

Curt
tcassidy
Open another instance of the program. You can have more than one running.

Terry
SpadesFlush
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyst
That works great unless you're already have a route built.

Curt
Actually, you can do that now with an existing route.

Create a new pushpin (call it anything you like) and place it at the start of the measurement target on your route, go to Route->Add As Stop. Then, add another pushpin at the end of the measurement zone and go to Route->Add As Stop. Recalculate the route ("Get Directions") and then, in the Directions window, go to the two new points along your route and calculate the difference, in both time and distance.

So long as you accurately place your pushpins on your route, doing so will not mess up your existing route, nor add any time or distance. If you like, you can remove the pushpins afterwards, leaving just the new markers (they are not really "Stops" if you don't stop) for your measured zone.
crazyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadesFlush
Actually, you can do that now with an existing route.

Create a new pushpin (call it anything you like) and place it at the start of the measurement target on your route, go to Route->Add As Stop. Then, add another pushpin at the end of the measurement zone and go to Route->Add As Stop. Recalculate the route ("Get Directions") and then, in the Directions window, go to the two new points along your route and calculate the difference, in both time and distance.

So long as you accurately place your pushpins on your route, doing so will not mess up your existing route, nor add any time or distance. If you like, you can remove the pushpins afterwards, leaving just the new markers (they are not really "Stops" if you don't stop) for your measured zone.
That assumes the distance you want to measure is on your route. The tool works today independent of your route. It would be nice if it had a "track to road" feature that would measure the distance along the road independent of a route. All good suggestions I just wish it would work like the current tool with that one added feature.

Curt
SpadesFlush
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyst
That assumes the distance you want to measure is on your route. The tool works today independent of your route. It would be nice if it had a "track to road" feature that would measure the distance along the road independent of a route. All good suggestions I just wish it would work like the current tool with that one added feature.

Curt
I take your point and agree.

I would like S&T (and Autoroute) to be able to accomodate multiple "routes" on one file which I think is akin to your idea. That is, perhaps you could have an A-to-B overall plan but with alternative routes showing on one map, like going through C on one route and going through D on another. Or being able to copy sub-routes on to a single file so that you could assemble a series of routes into a larger multi-day trip.
laptopgpsworld.com About