HomeMicrosoft


Long standing Routing bug still in Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010
SteveJonesMO
Just curious if others have noticed this bug or not.

To reproduce, build a route that includes a freeway. Add a pushpin to a location on the freeway and do a "Route - Add As Stop". On most freeways, 9 times out of 10, it will make some bizarro offroute loop. To see what I am talking about, see this series:

http://ridetoeat.com/st2010_test0.est (plain route, with 1 routestop added, and a pushpin.)

http://ridetoeat.com/st2010_test1.est (turned that pushpin into a route stop, and see what happened!)

These are all 2010, but the problem also appears in 2007 and even before that. I assume it is in '08 and '09 but I don't have them.

The problem only happens on freeways. On other roads it works fine. It doesn't happen on all freeways, just most.

If the pushpin is positioned exactly on top of a freeway exit dot, the problem does not happen.

I have reported it to Microsoft. I sent them the file and they confirmed the symptom and said they would get back with me.
tcassidy
That is because you are not supposed to stop on freeways. It is looking for a safe place to stop off the freeway.

Terry
SteveJonesMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcassidy
That is because you are not supposed to stop on freeways. It is looking for a safe place to stop off the freeway.
On the off chance you were being serious, stops are used for many things other than physically stopping the vehicle. Reminders to do something, decision points (e.g. "If it's rush hour take the outer loop", etc.), and many other things.

Also, sometimes it works. So I don't believe it is an intentional feature.
Marvin Hlavac
Steve, see if the following helps:

1. Plot a route with your highway stop(s) included
2. Mouse-click on the highway stops which don't route properly, and move them slightly
3. Recalculate the route

I think it should be fine after that. I noticed this behavior in previous versions, too. (I use various points on highways as my destination points sometimes. )
SteveJonesMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Hlavac
1. Plot a route with your highway stop(s) included
2. Mouse-click on the highway stops which don't route properly, and move them slightly
3. Recalculate the route
I've been wrestling with this bug for years. With 2007 and below, I have had some small success with that workaround - though on some freeway sections the symptom was quite persistent.

But with 2010 the problem seems both more common and more persistent. For instance, on the freeway section in the the sample file I provided, the workaround you mention doesn't seem to provide any relief. And I chose that freeway section at random... nothing really special about it.

In fact, I just tried a random section in Toronto (that's your neck of the woods, isn't it?) and see the same symptom (http://ridetoeat.com/st2010_test3.est)
Ken in Regina
Are you able to zoom tight enough to be absolutely certain you are getting the pushpin stuck on the side of the freeway that is the correct direction of travel?

I'll bet you can reproduce a similar problem by simply sticking a pushpin in a one-way street that's headed in the wrong direction for your intended travel.

...ken...
Marvin Hlavac
Steve, I opened the last attachment, and if I move the test stop a bit east, or a bit west, I do get the correct routing. I agree that it would be nice if these "user corrections" were not needed, but as a work around it is I guess OK.

I used Garmin Mobile PC to route me to a point on a highway on a couple of occasions, and there were no problems. I used iGuidance literally hundreds of times to navigate me to a destination point in the middle of various highways, and again I experienced not a single issue.

Steve, there is only you and me and I'm afraid not too many other people who will ever be inconvenienced by this "imperfection". I'm not sure if this will ever get the attention of MSFT, but it would be nice...
tcassidy
I tested that Mississauga one with S&T 2005 and 2009. I couldn't even route along that stretch of highway so I guess this an improvement. MapSource (2010.2) does not have an issue so it is definitely still an S&T routing anomaly.

Terry
Attached Images
miss-2005.jpg   miss-2009.jpg   miss-mapsource.jpg  
Marvin Hlavac
Terry, I think in version 2004 and earlier it didn't work no matter what you did, but in later versions, if you use the work-around mentioned above, it should work. Simply set you stops where ever you want, then plot the route, and then go back to the stops that didn't route properly and move them slightly. Then recalculate again.
Attached Images
streets-trips-2010-highway-routing-20090924.gif  
SteveJonesMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Regina
Are you able to zoom tight enough to be absolutely certain you are getting the pushpin stuck on the side of the freeway that is the correct direction of travel?
Yep.
tcassidy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Hlavac
Terry, I think in version 2004 and earlier it didn't work no matter what you did, but in later versions, if you use the work-around mentioned above, it should work. Simply set you stops where ever you want, then plot the route, and then go back to the stops that didn't route properly and move them slightly. Then recalculate again.

You are right Marvin. I had never experienced the problem but usually use an address rather than placing vias on the map. However your solution works fine.

Terry
SteveJonesMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Hlavac
Steve, I opened the last attachment, and if I move the test stop a bit east, or a bit west, I do get the correct routing.
You are having way more luck than I am with that technique. Are you just moving the stop (which drops the pushpin name and replaces it with "Near Mississauga" or whatever), or are you actually moving the pushpin and recalculating with success? I am not having any luck with the latter. What I need is to have the nice Australian lady in my GPS say what I want her to say when I get to that point... if she says "Near Mississauga" that doesn't fit the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Hlavac
Steve, there is only you and me and I'm afraid not too many other people who will ever be inconvenienced by this "imperfection". I'm not sure if this will ever get the attention of MSFT, but it would be nice...
Yeah, I know. It is really no more than an inconvenience... but I can't help but think it should be fixable. On the other hand, they must have been aware of it for years and haven't addressed it, so you are probably right.

Overall I like 2010 a lot and consider it a significant improvement over 2007, which is where I came from.
Marvin Hlavac
Steve, I didn't touch the one pushpin. I clicked the yellow Stop to select it, and then I moved it about 5 millimeters (1/4 inch?).
SteveJonesMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Hlavac
Steve, I didn't touch the one pushpin. I clicked the yellow Stop to select it, and then I moved it about 5 millimeters (1/4 inch?).
So, the name of the stop changed to "Near...", right?
Marvin Hlavac
Yes, it changes the name to "Near ...", (but the new Streets and Trips 2010 allows you to then rename the stop to what ever name you prefer).
laptopgpsworld.com About