AutoRoute is a mapping software program capable of A to B routing, multiple-destination routing, it contains various annotation tools for drawing and typing on the map, it is capable of printing maps and trip directions in various pre-defined formats. It is more feature-rich than any online map product, yet it is rather inexpensive, as it is targeted for consumer market. Microsoft has also a business version of the software, MapPoint (link
), with additional functionality.
The North American version was just released (July 1). The license agreement of that product also refers to AutoRoute 2013, and AutoRoute 2013 with GPS Locator, so these products will release, but the ETA is unknown. Historically, the EU software released several weeks after the NA version. Here's the ST2013 review
which should reveal what to expect from the new AR2013.
AutoRoute 2012 has been skipped. What's new in version 2011
While earlier versions of the software always incorporated a plethora of new features, the current v.2011 can be just simply called a "map data refresher". Just like the North American 2011 version of the software, the European 2011 version introduces no new software functionality, but the approximately 1 year newer map data is welcome. Map Coverage
Detailed road map of most of Europe: Albania, Andorra, Austria*, Belgium*, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark*, Estonia, Finland*, France*, Germany*, Gibraltar, Greece*, Guernsey, Hungary, Italy*, Ireland, Jersey, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg*, Macedonia, Isle of Man, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands*, Norway*, Poland, Portugal*, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, San Marino, Spain*, Sweden*, Switzerland*, United Kingdom*, and Vatican City. The countries marked with an asterisk (*) have the Address Find feature enabled.
A version of the product which includes road maps of North America is called Streets and Trips (link
Users who haven't upgraded their version for a while, may be interested what was changed in the previous version: Navigation View
- View the map as the driver views the road. Users can enable/disable this feature in the GPS panel. When enabled, the roads closer to the GPS location appear larger, and those further away appear on the map smaller. Automatic route recalculation
- If you deviate from a plotted route, the software will automatically recalculate a new route for you. Users have the option to disable this feature. Voice direction prompts include street names
- Earlier versions only included distance to and direction of the next turn. The new version will pronounce the street name in addition to the distance and the direction information. "Pan" and "Select" tools
- Tao Yue, a member of this forum, writes:
Driving Time, Next Stop, Distance To End
The single greatest improvement in usability is the integrated pan/select cursor. Left-drag to pan, right-drag to select. You no longer need to keep switching back-and-forth between the two tools when moving around the map. Saves a huge amount of clicks and mouse travel in normal usage. Nitpick: discoverability of feature.
- All this data is now shown in the Navigation pane. Save custom map settings and reuse them when the map reopens
- Users can set the software to save their custom settings upon close. Import/Export .GPX files
- Plan your trip, then move the data to your GPS navigation device, such a Garmin Nuvi, if compatible. The new Import/Export GPX functionality makes it possible to move data in and out of the software. Send to mobile phone
- Send, for example, POI data from the program to a mobile phone. Show/Hide pushpin set, Show/Hide pushpin information
- This feature makes it finally practical to work with large numbers of pushpins and pushpin sets. Delete visible pushpins inside or outside of a selected area
- Select an area on the map, and then delete pushpins either inside or outside of the area. The 10,000 addresses import limit has been removed
- The hard coded limit has been removed. The specifications of your computer are the limiting factor now. Back/Forward
- The Back and Forward menu buttons have been removed, but the functionality is still present. The feature can be accessed via the Main Menu > View, or via keyboard shortcuts Alt+ LeftArrow and Alt+RightArrow. Rename Route Stops
- Right-click on stop in the Route Planner, then select "Rename". Pause Windows Media Player during spoken navigation instructions
- Useful for those using the software for real-time navigation while playing music in Windows Media Player.
Please, read our version 2010 review
for more details.
More related discussions, tips, and tricks can be found in our forum
Questions / Comments?