HomeGarmin


Using laptop as display screen for GPSmap 76CSx
George Jacob
PRECISELY AND EXACTLY what do I need to do to project/transfer/view what appears on my GPSmap 76CSx with TOPO US chip to appear on my DELL LAP TOP with WINDOWS 7 installed ?
Boyd
There is no way to do this unfortunately. You could use the 76csx as a USB GPS receiver to provide position data to your laptop. But it would only provide the position data and you would need another completely separate program and maps running on the laptop, and that is what you would see.

Garmin's ancient nRoute program should be able to use your US topo map and show it on your laptop. This isn't exactly what you want, but it's as close as you can get. You can download the software here: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/nroute/nRoute_276.exe

There are many threads about using nRoute in this forum.
Marvin Hlavac
George, welcome to the forum. Boyd is correct. There isn't an easy solution (other than pointing a laptop-connected USB webcam at the screen of your 76csx).
George Jacob
You could use the 76csx as a USB GPS receiver

Please explain how to do that and how that works
George Jacob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd
There is no way to do this unfortunately. You could use the 76csx as a USB GPS receiver to provide position data to your laptop. But it would only provide the position data and you would need another completely separate program and maps running on the laptop, and that is what you would see.

Garmin's ancient nRoute program should be able to use your US topo map and show it on your laptop. This isn't exactly what you want, but it's as close as you can get. You can download the software here: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/nroute/nRoute_276.exe

There are many threads about using nRoute in this forum.
do you mean that the TOPO US chip thats in my handheld can not be transferred to my laptop ? But the data that is picked up from satellites can be transferred and the waypoint icons and the names I assign them can also be transferred ?

If so are you saying I need to install a topo map program on laptop that is comparable to the TOPO US that's in handheld ?

AND if so how do I marry the satellite data from the Garmin with the unrelated maps on the computer?
Boyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Jacob
You could use the 76csx as a USB GPS receiver

Please explain how to do that and how that works
See pages 41, 50 and 51 of your manual here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP76CSx_OwnersManual.pdf

Depending on the computer software you're using, you would choose either Garmin or NMEA in the Interface Setup menu. I believe nRoute requires Garmin format.
Boyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Jacob
do you mean that the TOPO US chip thats in my handheld can not be transferred to my laptop ? But the data that is picked up from satellites can be transferred and the waypoint icons and the names I assign them can also be transferred ?

If so are you saying I need to install a topo map program on laptop that is comparable to the TOPO US that's in handheld ?

AND if so how do I marry the satellite data from the Garmin with the unrelated maps on the computer?
When you say "TOPO US chip", what does that mean? Did you purchase US TOPO pre-installed on a memory card? If so, then unfortunately there is no way to install that map on your computer.

But if you purchased US Topo on DVD and installed it in Mapsource (or Basecamp) on your computer, then nRoute will be compatible because those map files are already on your computer.

nRoute is very similar to Mapsource, it works with any Garmin maps that are installed on your computer. You could use free maps from GPSFileDepot with it, for example. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

You would connect the GPS to your computer with as USB cable and the nRoute software would access it for position. Frankly, this is not a very good option anymore IMO. nRoute is really awkward to use on a tablet… I have tried.

You are also really "dumbing down" your 76csx to use it this way. It's only sending coordinates. A $40 dedicated USB gps is much better for this kind of thing.
Ken in Regina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd
You are also really "dumbing down" your 76csx to use it this way. It's only sending coordinates. A $40 dedicated USB gps is much better for this kind of thing.
True. But he already has the 76csx so it's essentially "free". And it has an excellent GPS receiver in it. But a really tiny screen so I can understand why he wants a bigger display.

...ken...
George Jacob
I have purchased US TOPO from Garmin years ago and I've been aware that the data cannot be exported . For some time now I've been wanting to display the topo screen from the 76 on a tv screen or projection screen while giving my home made wildlife presentations. What is the optimum way to do this using the equipment I have plus whatever else you say I need to obtain. Thank You guys so much for helping me.
Ken in Regina
You can use Garmin's Basecamp program on a PC or laptop. If you connect your 76 to the PC, Basecamp can use the maps that are installed on the 76. It will take a few minutes for Basecamp to pull the maps from the 76 each time you use it but once it has pulled the maps onto the PC the display performance will be good.

You can expand Basecamp to full screen on the laptop for a full screen map display. You can connect the laptop to a large TV or projector to project the laptop display.

You can download Basecamp from Garmin's web site for free.

Without knowing how you do the other visuals for your presentations I can't suggest how you would incorporate the Basecamp display. If you are using a PC program like PowerPoint, it's possible you could do a splitscreen display. Or just switch windows to show the Basecamp topo display when you want it. There are many possibilities.

If this seems like it will work there is a way to get Basecamp to use the maps directly from the SD card or a USB stick so you don't have to connect the 76 every time you want to do this.

...ken...
Boyd
As we have already said, there is no way to mirror the screen of your 76csx on a big monitor.

You can take "screenshots" however, if you wanted use them for a presentation. The GPS must be connected to your computer for this to work however. Download Garmin xImage here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=545

The screen on the 76csx is very low resolution, so it may not look good if you enlarge it though. It's only 160x240 pixels. That would appear really tiny if used directly on a high definition monitor, so you would probably want to enlarge the screenshots using a program like Photoshop.

Here's a screenshot from my 60csx (basically the same as your 76cs) at native resolution.
Attached Images
screensize.jpg  
Ken in Regina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd
As we have already said, there is no way to mirror the screen of your 76csx on a big monitor.

You can take "screenshots" however, if you wanted use them for a presentation. The GPS must be connected to your computer for this to work however. Download Garmin xImage here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=545

The screen on the 76csx is very low resolution, so it may not look good if you enlarge it though. It's only 160x240 pixels. That would appear really tiny if used directly on a high definition monitor, so you would probably want to enlarge the screenshots using a program like Photoshop.

Here's a screenshot from my 60csx (basically the same as your 76cs) at native resolution.
Boyd, I added a reply at the same time as you. Don't know if you saw it.

...ken...
Boyd
Just saw it, and I agree that Basecamp would be a much better way to create a presentation. But since he specifically asked for a way to show the 76csx screen, I remembered Garmin's Ximage program.

I had forgotten that Basecamp can read the maps from a device or memory card, that's a good idea. There are some caveats however, not sure if this works with every map. One of JaVaWa's utilities allows you fix that however, if needed.

Sorry though, I don't think I agree that "once it has pulled the maps onto the PC the display performance will be good". Remember, the 76csx is a USB 1.0 device - like my 60csx. That is a REALLY slow interface by today's standards. If you have the US Topo maps on an SD card and want to do this, it will be much better to remove the card from the GPS and put it in a USB 3.0 (or even USB 2.0) reader.

Another possibility would be to copy the contents of the card to a USB flash drive. Basecamp will treat that the same as an actual GPS, but it will be much faster and will allow you to use the map on your computer while you use the 76csx for something else.
Ken in Regina
My experience is that once Basecamp pulls the maps to the PC the responsiveness is decent. The really slow part is pulling the maps because, as you note, the USB interface on many of Garmin's devices is the oldest slowest version.

Agreed that the best way to do it is to use the memory card directly or use a USB stick. But first he'll need to test to see if the Basecamp option gives him what he wants. The simplest way to do that is just install Basecamp, connect the 76, wait for the map to load into Basecamp and see if the display is what he wants. If so, we can help him optimise the setup.

...ken...
Boyd
Also note that these older models don't natively behave as USB mass storage devices, so I suspect Basecamp will not even detect the map when you first connect it to your computer. You need to go into the interface setup menu (IIRC) on the 76csx and specifically enable USB mass storage mode each time you connect it to your computer.
© laptopgpsworld.com About