HomeGarmin


Help me with Garmin nRoute install on my laptop with built in GPS
the13bats
okay a couple kind chaps got me on my way with a download of eroute, after learning that if I didn't have garmin poi installed the eroute would not install it would abort saying I had no previous eroute on my comp...

so I grabbed the map I needed and fired it up, but trouble in paradise, it will not find the com port 8 that the gps is on nor does Applying com 8 manually help,

this laptop is the old dell e6420 xfr on win 7 pro 64...I will keep putzing with it and hopefully some cool cat has a fix for me...thanks all!

Boyd
I have already posted the answer to the install problem in your other thread.

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/5629-please-suggest-software-newbie-p2#post49750

But now I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Were you able to install nRoute or not? What map did you "grab'?

Have not used it in a long time, but I think nRoute requires a GPS that uses Garmin' protocol. With the internal GPS in your PC, you should be able to use GPSGate to simulate a Garmin device. You will find plenty of GPSGate discussion here in the forums. Sorry, have not used it for quite some time myself.
Ken in Regina
Quote:
Originally Posted by the13bats
okay a couple kind chaps got me on my way with a download of eroute, after learning that if I didn't have garmin poi installed the eroute would not install it would abort saying I had no previous eroute on my comp...

so I grabbed the map I needed and fired it up, but trouble in paradise, it will not find the com port 8 that the gps is on nor does Applying com 8 manually help,

this laptop is the old dell e6420 xfr on win 7 pro 64...I will keep putzing with it and hopefully some cool cat has a fix for me...thanks all!

I can explain the Install issues if you care. Let me know.

The COM port problem is more likely a protocol issue. nRoute can be set to COM8, as you've already discovered. When it's trying to discover a COM port it's doing much more than looking for the COM port. It's also looking for a GPS data stream it can recognize.

That requires a baud rate match and the data stream must be in Garmin protocol, not standard NMEA. I can explain the difference if you're interested.

To resolve this you will need to install GPSGate Express. A quick Google search will discover it. It's free. If you have difficulties with it just holler.

...ken...
the13bats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Regina
I can explain the Install issues if you care. Let me know.

The COM port problem is more likely a protocol issue. nRoute can be set to COM8, as you've already discovered. When it's trying to discover a COM port it's doing much more than looking for the COM port. It's also looking for a GPS data stream it can recognize.

That requires a baud rate match and the data stream must be in Garmin protocol, not standard NMEA. I can explain the difference if you're interested.

To resolve this you will need to install GPSGate Express. A quick Google search will discover it. It's free. If you have difficulties with it just holler.

...ken...
at your leisure can you give me a link to the correct gpsgate I need, I am finding some pretty wild stuff with splitters and web based this and that servers...okay...it's all above my pay rate I am lost
Ken in Regina
http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/free_gpsgate_client_for_windows

Scroll down and download the client for Windows.

Don't sweat all the splitter and server stuff. You need it for only one purpose, to convert the NMEA data stream to Garmin protocol.

It has a wizard. Use it. Check the box that you want to use Garmin protocol. It will find the internal port that the GPS data is coming from and use that as its input. It will create some virtual COM ports that it will resend the data out.

One of those virtual COM ports will be sending the Garmin protocol. This will be noted in the list of virtual COM ports that GPSGate will display when the wizard has done it's thing. Use that COM port in nRoute.

...ken...
tcassidy
Try this page.

http://gpsgate.com/products/gpsgate_client

It has a download button for the free splitter product. I think it leads to a similar place but Franson seems to be making their download pages more complex every day.

Terry
the13bats
thanks all and tcassidy...garmin nroute is installed and somewhat working, it will find some points of interest and route to them however it will not find anything that I enter an address number on...is that a map issue?
Which is the best florida map this will work with?
Ken in Regina
Hey bats,

You said you have a Nuvi and you said nRoute installed immediately on the PC without the builtin GPS. Would it be a fair guess that you have used that PC to connect with your Nuvi and probably have some Garmin stuff installed on that PC already before you installed nRoute on it?

If so, do you have some Garmin maps, like City Navigator installed on that PC?

If you already have some Garmin maps on that PC, say, the same ones that are on the Nuvi, you can put a copy onto the laptop with the GPS in it for use with nRoute.

You can't just copy them over like you normally would. You need to use JaVaWa's GMTK app that was linked above or in your other thread. Use it to do a backup of the Garmin maps on the first PC and a restore on the laptop with the GPS.

...ken...
Boyd
Doesn't nRoute enforce City Navigator copy protection? If a map is locked to your Nuvi, will work in nRoute?

I don't think "bats" has told us what map he is trying to use in nRoute. Without knowing that, not sure how helpful we can be. Many Garmin maps are not routable and cannot be used to calculate routes. OpenStreetMap has routing capability and some address search capability. Since I don't use them myself, I don't know how good it is. But I have read that they continue to improve.
Ken in Regina
Any map that can be viewed in Mapsource on a PC can be used in nRoute.

If you then use GMTK to backup/restore that map to another PC you will be able to view it in Mapsource and, therefore, also in nRoute.

The exception to this is that nRoute can't use .GMAP format maps. They have to be run through JaVaWa's MapReverseConverter app.

...ken...
Boyd
Interesting, never tried that myself. So nRoute is a loophole that allows you to use City Navigator with a GPS even though it is registered to a Nuvi? Can modern .gmap versions of City Navigator be reverse converted? I used it to convert a Garmin 24k Topo which has routable Navteq roads and that worked. But it was the DVD version, which does not have any copy protection like City Navigator.
the13bats
weird issue here, all was going well, I had the garmin nuvi plugged into test laptop and opened garmin express when I clicked on map options it gave me,
change map
reinstall map
and the one I desired save map to computer ( paraphrased )

I saved the maps to the test laptop and moved to the alpha LP
I opened garmin express and when I go to save the maps to the alpha LP the only options are the first two, change map or reinstall map, nothing to allow me to save it, did garmin know I saved it to test and now doesn't allowed anymore computers to save it?

off to putz with this rat hair in the tuna salad.

UD
hah...version '.19 of express works with saving to comp but latest version do not....
tcassidy
Maps for your Nuvi are not in the right format for use with MapSource or nRoute. The only way to have a MapSource type map on your computer is when you update the map on the Nuvi from Garmin. During the updating process, you can save a copy to the computer for use with MapSource. With the use of MapReverseConverter from JAVAWA, you can also convert that map for use with nRoute.

Terry
Boyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcassidy
Maps for your Nuvi are not in the right format for use with MapSource or nRoute. The only way to have a MapSource type map on your computer is when you update the map on the Nuvi from Garmin.
Sorry, I thought that part was obvious. I have the Nuvi lifetime maps on my computer because I chose the option to install them when I did an update.

Of course hardly anyone uses nRoute so Garmin probably doesn't care, but converting those maps for navigation on a different device (your computer) is clearly a violation of the City Navigator license agreement.
tcassidy
If MapSource on your other computer already shows a map that you can use, it can be converted to the proper format for nRoute using MRC. It will probably be located at c:\Users\[owner]\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Maps.

If you get this far, back it up with GMTK. Then use GMTK on your Dell to restore it.

Terry
laptopgpsworld.com About