HomeALK


CoPilot Live Android Upgrade to 10.2.x
DieselBoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNomad
By "it," you mean only the Truck version, correct?

I have the "CoPilot v9 Laptop" version 9.6.4

Is that the end of the line for CoPilot (non-truck) Windows?
It is not the end of the line for it. But it is the end of the line for it NOT COMBINED into one big Windows version. The version I have is Truck / RV / Pickups / Car / Motorcycle / Walking / Bicycles.

Hard to imagine someone strapping their laptop to a bicycle.

As I am sure that you can imagine, most "consumer" customers do not carry laptops in their vehicles any more because of the common, cheap availability of phones and tablets these days. SO they have gone to focus on those devices and pay-as-you-go model for consumer grade and for the commercial grade for Android and iOS. The only reason I have a Windows version still is because many commercial truck drivers still use Windows laptops to run the whole business in the truck (and not just for navigation.)
GoneNomad
Only reason I might be interested in 'one big version' is if it correctly calculates routes for RV/Truck with user-defined heights that might be too tall for some overpasses in the routes that Google/Bing provide.

CoPilot v9 Laptop has these vehicle routing profiles:
"Car"
"Caravan"
"Motorcycle"
"Bicycle"
"Walking"
and the "Caravan" vehicle routing profile has two height options: 12'6" & 13'0"
...and even the lower of those two is more than tall enough for my needs.
I understand that the "RV" & "Truck" versions allow user-settable heights, rather than just those two choices.

FWIW, I guess the term "Caravan" is leftover from the euro version (even though mine has always been for North America).
Ken in Regina
You've got to admit "caravan" sounds much more interesting than "RV".

...ken...
Ken in Regina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoss
As I am sure that you can imagine, most "consumer" customers do not carry laptops in their vehicles any more because of the common, cheap availability of phones and tablets these days. SO they have gone to focus on those devices and pay-as-you-go model for consumer grade and for the commercial grade for Android and iOS. The only reason I have a Windows version still is because many commercial truck drivers still use Windows laptops to run the whole business in the truck (and not just for navigation.)
They have to change their business model to match where customers are going, whether some like it or not. I hate the subscription model but it's one way to ensure a dependable amount of cash flow.

...ken...
tcassidy
I wonder if the Version 10 is Windows Location API aware. I thought I saw that in a previous Windows version ( the $20 version) but can't recall or test.

Terry
GoneNomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Regina
They have to change their business model to match where customers are going, whether some like it or not. I hate the subscription model but it's one way to ensure a dependable amount of cash flow.
...ken...
...it probably ensures a dwindling amount of cash flow from consumer-level users, just like the previous 'buy-outright' model.

It shares one problem with TomTom (which switched to a subscription model for their android app years ago; one that also allows inexpensive short-term 'rentals'): when so many users end up using something else that's free (Google/Here/WinMaps) for their day-in/day-out routine mapping/nav tasks, expecting any significant number of them to switch back over to a significantly different UI once in a while, in order to be able to use some feature (like overpass heights) that Google/Here/WinMaps do not have, is expecting too much. And for more frequent use, which might require ongoing annual subscriptions, the TomTom app is not so cost-effective compared to a wi-fi-enabled TomTom PND (which can accept trips planned on TomTom's trip planner website).

Even if I wanted to use either the TomTom app or CoPilot (both of which I own outright), it always ends up being more trouble than it's worth, especially if taking into account that would require remembering/relearning the significant idiosyncrasies that both those apps have.

The only thing keeping CoPilot alive is that truckers are required by law to compile documentation, and the CP Truck does help with that.
Ken in Regina
The flaw in your explanation is thinking the products in your examples are free. They are not.

...ken...
GoneNomad
OK, sure.

Google/Here/WinMaps aren't free.

They just*seem* that way because you don't have to fork over any payment to use them. But if the account setup to use them isn't used for anything else, it's very close to free of charge or consequences.
DieselBoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNomad
Even if I wanted to use either the TomTom app or CoPilot (both of which I own outright), it always ends up being more trouble than it's worth, especially if taking into account that would require remembering/relearning the significant idiosyncrasies that both those apps have.

The only thing keeping CoPilot alive is that truckers are required by law to compile documentation, and the CP Truck does help with that.
Consider too that ALK got bought by Trimble. Trimble is sucking up commercial navigation and logistic management companies like a vacuum over the last few years and has doubled its stock as a result. CoPilot Truck app is either standard or an option in almost every truck in America now in a pay-as-you-go model. The "non-truck" app was originally a secondary product until it caught on dramatically by people who who either want (or require) the entire maps to be installed on their phone without needing a cellular connection to plan and navigate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNomad
Only reason I might be interested in 'one big version' is if it correctly calculates routes for RV/Truck with user-defined heights that might be too tall for some overpasses in the routes that Google/Bing provide.

CoPilot v9 Laptop has these vehicle routing profiles:
"Car"
"Caravan"
"Motorcycle"
"Bicycle"
"Walking"
and the "Caravan" vehicle routing profile has two height options: 12'6" & 13'0"
...and even the lower of those two is more than tall enough for my needs.
I understand that the "RV" & "Truck" versions allow user-settable heights, rather than just those two choices.

FWIW, I guess the term "Caravan" is leftover from the euro version (even though mine has always been for North America).
Yup, "Caravan"mode is the Euro way of saying RV. Even the most current build only has the two heights you mention unless you put it in truck mode. It takes those heights, plus propane-restrictions, plus "avoiding tight turns." in RV Mode.
Ken in Regina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoss
...

I realize that this forum has shifted to mobile products in recent years, but this video may help this exact discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozvmrdq9r4k

Don from DieselBoss
I think it's more that a lot of the technology has shifted. This forum has pretty much always been about mobile products, as witness the forum name "Laptop GPS World". Indeed, GPS use is almost entirely about mobility and more specifically about navigation.

When the forum was created the main choices for GPS navigation were either dedicated GPS devices, usually referred to as PNDs (personal navigation devices), or general purpose computing devices, most often Windows-based because that's where most of the app development was happening.

There was a pretty big need for a forum like this one because using computer based apps was like untangling a huge ball of string to try and get the various apps - which all worked differently from each other - to work and to get the various exterrnal GPS dongles to - first - work with the computer at all, and - second - to work with the chosen app(s).

Kudos to Marvin for stepping up and providing a place for us to learn, share, and troubleshoot.

That still applies. In spades, since Microsoft introduced the new Windows comm API. It's just that there's no longer much action in the Windows laptop part of the technical universe, because...

... technology has shifted with the addition of GPS hardware and features to mobile phones, tablets, and a few laptops. You pretty much just have to install your chosen app(s) and you're good to go.

The forum now has a bit of a split personality. It has become an archive for the apps from the big players of the past and still some support for those who have good reasons to continue to use them. But it also reflects that the majority of folks have followed the technology. So the more recent discussions have a large component relating to the newer technologies.

Even so, a lot of that is still related to the small number of big players, like ALK, who have shifted their business models to reflect the consumers' preference for the GPS features in their phones.

Marvin has kindly accommodated us by allowing us to be a bit schizophrenic now to reflect the real world.

Thanks Marvin!

...ken...
GoneNomad
x2
GoneNomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoss
... "Caravan"mode is the Euro way of saying RV. Even the most current build only has the two heights you mention unless you put it in truck mode. It takes those heights, plus propane-restrictions, plus "avoiding tight turns." in RV Mode.
That reminded me of the comparison chart below. I don't know if some of the info on it is still accurate or was outdated several versions ago.

It shows the RV North America has user-selectable height up to 14 feet (vs. a choice of two heights in regular CoPilot - RV vehicle type), length, width & weight, and three additional RV-specific POI choices (that will still stack up poorly compared to google/bing).

It also shows that the Euro "Caravan" version has the 12 'Other [routing] Restrictions' but not the RV NA version, meaning (as you say) that only the truck version devises routes optimized for those factors here in North America.

IMO, that makes the RV NA version not useful.

laptopgpsworld.com About